View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012   #36
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: rmartin65's Thanksgiving Day Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
In post #24 I said that I see our early rounds of the draft going like this:

1. NT or CB.
2. WR
3. OT/OG, a guy like Wagner that can most likely play both.
3b. ILB

I'd like to modify that assessment to include possibly DE in the 1st round. I think it's a possibility the Texans could do much the same thing that was done in the 2012 draft, selecting a 1st round pick as insurance against losing a FA at the end of the next season. Mercilus in 2012 was insurance against losing Barwin to FA in 2013. I could see the Texans doing this in 2013 for Antonio Smith's spot at DE by selecting Sheldon Richardson-DE from Missouri. Richardson is 6'04" and 295 lbs. very quick off the snap, high motor, and doesn't give up on a play. Does that sound like anyone else we know? I see him more as a DE in our system, replacing Smith, but it's possible the Texans could play him at NT as well considering we run a 1 gap system that thrives on putting pressure on the QB, doubtful though.

Have you guys seen Sheldon Richardson-DT, I'm impressed by him.
Texans GM Rick Smith responded with fourth-round DE Jared Crick when asked to name one member of Houston's draft class to "watch out for" in 2012.
Crick will begin his career behind Antonio Smith and J.J. Watt, but he's Smith's heir apparent. "I think (Crick) will come in and get into a rotation," said Smith. "... He's a hard-nosed football player. He plays hard." Crick will have to beat out Tim Jamison to be the Texans' No. 3 defensive end as a rookie. May 2 - 3:34 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7508/jared-crick