View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012   #104
klockWork
All Pro

Rep Power: 45112 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is Matt Schaub clutch?

I agree with you for the most part. But I don't think it's about his arm not being warm enough. I think when he is throwing on consecutive plays the action down the field slows down for him. He's able to read defense faster after the snap.

Take for example:

I love playing basketball. Everytime I go to the park and join into a pickup game with people that are already playing, the first 5 minutes on the court is where I always struggle. And I'm not talking about shooting jumpshots. I'm talking about things like rebounding, pick & roll, defense. I'm always a second behind in every basketball plays. Everythings blurry. But after that 5 minute things slow down for me. Next thing I know I'm snatching rebound off the board, blocking shots, behind-the-back-pass between a defender's leg.

Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a little on my game. But the point is Shaub vision of the game becomes more coherent and lucid when he is given a consistence chance of throwing the ball.

Every time a QB drops back to throw the ball his adrenaline is increase by 200% as oppose to handing it off - studies by ESPN's Sport & Science.

And the benefit of adrenaline in our bodies is quoted as by Men's Health Fitness:
"Adrenaline is produced by adrenal glands in our body. When released, it stimulates a wide array of bodily functions. From the heart rate to blood vessels, it effectively counters high-stress and physical situations. This enables us to process information, while utilizing actions at a rapid rate. These are referred to as adrenaline rushes, which increase physical performance in unexpected instances. The process also sends more oxygen to the lungs. This is essential when responding to emergencies and natural disasters. The body is then able to perform tasks in a timely manner."

As much as I like Foster and our running game, I think a success of a rushing game can hinder a QB like Matt Schaub who needs a consistence dose of adrenaline to perform at a high level.

We should only run to keep the defense honest and to setup play-action and not to just play the over-rated stats "time of possession game."
Isn't this sport about outscoring your opponent? If Schaub has the hot hand and our running game is anemic and we're ahead, Kubiak should give Schaub the keys to take over the game.
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote