Thread: Manziel
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012   #113
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68181 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Yes, they did. La Tech was a great game by Manziel, no question about it. I can't even believe you would mention that, as he had 6 total TDs and accounted for nearly 600 yards of offense. The defense wasn't doing well that game, and they allowed La Tech to score a ton. We were leading by 27-0 at one point, but let them back into the game. It was exciting, but you can't blame Manziel at all in that game, he was the reason we won it. Unless of course you think he should have been playing cornerback and covering Patton. Then I guess you can blame him.
I wasn't blaming Manziel for A&M's defense. I don't blame T'eo for ND's crappy offense either, though.

Quote:
Ole Miss was bad for him, but despite the turnovers, he lead two late 4th quarter TD drives to come from behind and win it. He had a few turnovers, 2 INTs and I think he lost a fumble too, but he came back and they won it after being down by 10 in the fourth. I thought it was a good showing by him, regardless of how the overall game went.

ND has beaten 3 ranked teams by my count, unless you want to count Michigan State as a ranked team at 5-6. They were ranked at the time, but that was week 3 of the season, and the contenders and pretenders don't always shake out by then. Aside from those three, their next toughest opponent was 7-4 Navy. 7-4 USC might be a better team, but without Barkley they don't have much of a chance. It's not nearly as daunting of a schedule as it had been hyped in the preseason.

The difference to me is that Teo is getting attention because his team is a top ranked defense and they are undefeated. Can we at least agree that Teo wouldn't be in the conversation for #1 if ND had a loss or two? I think that has a lot to do with it. Winning tends to give Heisman hopefuls the edge and I think that has a lot to do with Teo's acclaim. I bring that up because I think Teo is riding his team's accomplishments more than his own individual achievements. Can you point to a "Heisman Moment" by Teo this season? Any close game where he was the difference maker with a clutch forced turnover, sack/TFL on the last drive of the game or a JJ Watt type of game?
I absolutely agree that T'eo wouldn't be in the discussion if ND had a few losses or if he played for a different team. That's what I'm saying -- I think the fact that they went unbeaten is the biggest factor and I think you are selling their defense short. Notre Dame also tends to be one of the schools that can get enough votes for a player to win at a non traditional position (think Tim Brown).

Think like a Heisman voter. Who are the ones living in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and the Northeast going to vote for? Those Midwestern voters are the reason Troy Smith, Charles Woodson, and others along that vein got their trophies. If T'eo can get enough votes from the Northeast corridor or siphon a few off out west from Oregon/Lee doubters (Notre Dame does carry some clout out there and T'eo might win a few doubters with a dominating game vs the Trojans) he can definitely win the ballot.