Thread: Manziel
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012   #111
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
Come on man, A&M had trouble with Ole Miss and nearly lost to La Tech.
Yes, they did. La Tech was a great game by Manziel, no question about it. I can't even believe you would mention that, as he had 6 total TDs and accounted for nearly 600 yards of offense. The defense wasn't doing well that game, and they allowed La Tech to score a ton. We were leading by 27-0 at one point, but let them back into the game. It was exciting, but you can't blame Manziel at all in that game, he was the reason we won it. Unless of course you think he should have been playing cornerback and covering Patton. Then I guess you can blame him.

Ole Miss was bad for him, but despite the turnovers, he lead two late 4th quarter TD drives to come from behind and win it. He had a few turnovers, 2 INTs and I think he lost a fumble too, but he came back and they won it after being down by 10 in the fourth. I thought it was a good showing by him, regardless of how the overall game went.

Quote:
At the end of the season Notre Dame will have gone 4-0 vs ranked opponents (winning by an average of 21-8) and A&M will have gone 3-2. That's the difference. Averaging three TD's on offense is more than enough when you are stifling your opponent. And T'eo, like it or not, is the perceived reason they are doing so -- the same way that Vinny Testaverde was perceived to be the reason Miami went undefeated.
ND has beaten 3 ranked teams by my count, unless you want to count Michigan State as a ranked team at 5-6. They were ranked at the time, but that was week 3 of the season, and the contenders and pretenders don't always shake out by then. Aside from those three, their next toughest opponent was 7-4 Navy. 7-4 USC might be a better team, but without Barkley they don't have much of a chance. It's not nearly as daunting of a schedule as it had been hyped in the preseason.

The difference to me is that Teo is getting attention because his team is a top ranked defense and they are undefeated. Can we at least agree that Teo wouldn't be in the conversation for #1 if ND had a loss or two? I think that has a lot to do with it. Winning tends to give Heisman hopefuls the edge and I think that has a lot to do with Teo's acclaim. I bring that up because I think Teo is riding his team's accomplishments more than his own individual achievements. Can you point to a "Heisman Moment" by Teo this season? Any close game where he was the difference maker with a clutch forced turnover, sack/TFL on the last drive of the game or a JJ Watt type of game?