View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012   #90
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 131049 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is Matt Schaub clutch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBill View Post
In the last 20 years, I can't name a QB worse than Schaub, or not a freaking Hall of Famer, to win a Super Bowl except Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer. Both of those guys had an all time great defense, and were under a very different rule system.

MY worry about Schaub is, have the rules have changed so much that without an elite QB it might be almost impossible to win it all. Elite quarterbacks have become priceless. Really legit starters are priceless, but an elite quarterback these days can destroy any defense if he is hot. You can't hit him, his receivers, and pass interference is constantly called.

I guess the league did this for more excitement, and to increase comeback ability so people don't turn off their TVs knowing the game is over, but IMO it has backfired lessening the parity. Can a team win a Superbowl these days without a superstar quarterback, or a QB playing like a superstar? It is obviously extremely difficult, which makes a championship a realistic possibility for very few teams, moving the NFL closer to the realities of the NBA and away from building teams.

The fact is Schaub is the 6th best quarterback among the 8 division leaders in the NFL, which makes it highly likely every QB the Texans face in the playoffs is better.
hmmm well i will counter that

heres an example of the rankings of defense who helped their teams win the super bowl

2008 steelers - 1st
2005 steelers - 3rd
2004 patriots - 2nd
2003 patriots - 1st
2002 bucs - 1st
2001 patriots - 1st
2000 rams - 1st
1998 broncos - 8th
1997 brocos - 6th
1996 packers - 1st
1995 cowboys - 3rd
1994 49ers - 6th
1993 cowboys - 2nd
1992 cowboys - 5th
1991 redskins - 2nd
1990 giants - 1st
1989 49ers - 3rd
1988 49ers - 8th

List goes on and on my point is while the starting QBs may have been "Elite" the defenses were no slouch. So cant say they won the SB "Just" because of their QB. Just saying.