View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012   #6
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: rmartin65's Thanksgiving Day Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Thanks for the opinions guys.

1) The Cooper pick came down to a couple things. First, what players were available? Cooper was my highest ranked player that I could make a case for. Secondly, what does the depth look like/future starters? OG is iffy, as Ben Jones was a 4th, while Brooks was a 3rd who is yet to see the field. I doubt they both pan out to be starters. Cooper should become a starter, could be from day 1. What position would you go for here?

2) If Barwin leaves I think OLB absolutely becomes a need. Also, have you seen pressure from our OLBs? I dont think opposing QBs have. Ansah fits into Barwin's spot perfectly.

3) Winters is a very solid OT. I see his floor as a swing tackle, but I think he could give Newton some competition and eventually become the starter at RT.

3) I think Benavides will fall come April. He is on the smaller side, and is not a mauler. I think OC is a need, as who is really the backup? Jones is at OG.

4) Glad you agree. I worry a bit about him being here though, your thoughts about that?

5) So would I really, just none really fell to me. I felt like I would be reaching. And I figured, since we are so far away from the draft, no harm in adding a new name for some people.

5) Honestly, his size (or rather, lack thereof) is the only reason he is available this late. The dude has legit cover skills, and has a nose for the football. Just a playmaker.

6) Kasa has been impressive. He is very new to the position, but has made some big plays in addition to being a great blocker. One of the lone bright spots for Colorado this year.

6) Yep. I would have preferred to go ILB earlier, but Blair providesgood bang-for-your-buck here. After Jackson in the 3rd, I dont see a lot of difference between the linebackers.

7) Another thing to consider is that this 7th rounder makes the team. Find another guy to do that.

1. I agree that Cooper would be a stud at OG for the Texans and possible pro bowler, I just think that there's a bigger need at RT, and that RG at least is relatively easily replaced and not worth a 1st round pick. He could step in right away and replace W. Smith at LG but we've got him relatively inexpensively for another year and I don't see the Texans making that many O-line moves. I think a very good OG and/or RT can be had in the 2nd round. I'd spend that 1st round pick at DT/NT, and luckily there are several in next years draft that fit our system and are considered 1st round pick worthy.

2. If Barwin leaves then yes OLB becomes a need, but I just haven't considered that option yet. We've already got Mercilus anyway.

3. I'd have no problem with a 3rd round OT to compete at RT and have Xavier Nixon-OT in the 3rd round of my latest mocks.

3b. I don't see a need for backup C, Jones can be the starting RG and backup C at the same time. If Meyer were hurt I'd rather move my RG who's been in the game and has experience and a feel for the game to the most important O-line position than to bring in a guy from the bench who's cold. I'd go for a ILB, CB, or WR here.

4. I love Wilson's fundamentals and think that he could fall to the 4th now. I've heard he was cut from the team and I've heard that he quit but have not heard why. Abusive is to broad of a term and means different thing to everyone. NFL teams will find out the details and decide for themselves. The interview process will be VERY important for him at the Combine. If his problem at WSU is an attitude then he could fall a long ways.

5. When I first saw Brandon Williams name I thought oh hell another Williams candidate at NT to go along with Sylvester and Jesse. I don't know anything about him and see this as a 1st round pick to me. I like Kawaan Short, Sylvester, and Jesse Williams.

5b. I like Broomfield but if his size gets in the way have you looked at Johnny Adams from Mich. St.. I think he's got good quickness and athleticism that Vance Joseph could coach up.

6. I'm not familiar with Kasa at all, but with all the extra picks a good blocking TE isn't a bad idea.

6b. I'm not familiar with Blair either but agree the depth at ILB isn't all that good next year.

7. I like the idea of a P late in the draft, competition for Jones, and field position is so important. No one thinks P is important until they see Anger from Jacksonville booming balls deep in our territory and then realize the importance of a good P and field position. I like Quinn Sharp who doubles as a K as well.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote