Thread: Manziel
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012   #92
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63030 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Wait, so are we counting rushing stats or not? Because Cam Newton was a poor passer in more than a couple games, but made up for it with his feet most of the time. He was actually pretty bad in their games against LSU, MSU, and UK, but he was able to overcome his passing deficiencies with his feet. Tebow had plenty of poor passing games as well.
My post was referring to QB rating primarily (which if anything underrates rushing stats). I'm not asking whether Cam Newton or Tim Tebow had fewer total passing yards or rushing yards. Feel free to count his 27 rushing yards against the Tigers, although I'm guessing Stemp won't. I'm asking if any Heisman winning QB ever had a game like the one Johnny had against LSU.

I honestly don't know if anyone has had a game like that -- for all I know Ware, Weintze, or someone like that did and I just don't recall it. I used Tebow because he was brought up, and Cam and RGIII because they were the last two to win and I knew they didn't have a game like that.

Quote:
In any case though, this isn't a competition among Heisman winners and hopefuls. Who's your pick for this year? Collin Klein? Teo? Marquis Lee? Who deserves it more than JFF? I can agree that the competition is not as difficult as previous years, but I don't see any of the other top 5 hopefuls as having a stronger case.
If Notre Dame beats USC, and especially if their defense holds the Trojans in check, I think T'eo wins it. I think arguments about how many solo tackles he has are silly, because as any fan of defense knows the stats on that side of the ball are much less indicative of the value of the player. They may not be getting tackles because they are taken out of the play.

I do think Manziel absolutely belongs on the podium. He could even eventually win 2. I just don't think that he'll win it this year. Putting aside his dismal LSU game:

Number of Freshmen to win the Heisman: 0
Number of 3,000 yards passers, 1,000 yards rushers to win the Heisman: 0

Last edited by Dan B.; 11-20-2012 at 04:13 PM.