View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012   #69
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 31376 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Schaub #2 all time, passing yards in a game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Man.... I agree with everything you're saying, but...

Matt has plenty of opportunity to play like he did yesterday, but he don't. It seems like he waits until we're 14 points down before he "makes **** happen" He wasn't just sitting in a perfect pocket for that comeback. He didn't settle for throwing it out of bounds. He knew we needed a play & he didn't give up on any of them. He did what he had to do to give our guys time to get open. He didn't look like Ben Rothlisberger or RGIII, but he escaped pressure, he stepped up, he waited that extra second.

I hate it when we are up by 3 & he throws it away on third down instead of trying to extend the play for just one more second. Playing it safe.... we're 9-1, I get it, & if it gets us a Lombardi, I'll take it.

But in my little mind, third down is always the time. If we're in field goal range, I can understand it. But we should never go 3 & out. Not if we have the offense we think we have. (Never is hyperbole, just saying I think we go 3 & out more than we should.... even if we lead the league with the least 3 & outs, I think we go it more than we should).
And sometimes you just take what the defense gives you. That 1st 4th quarter TD to make it a 7 point game was a 7 minute drive. They didn't just force their will down the field. They took what the Jags were giving them. The Jags made them eat clock and the Texans had to be perfect to do what they did and they were.

As far as the 3 and outs are concerned, I think part of the problem is the run game. At the end of the day the numbers look good but there's just too many instances where there are minimal gains, if not losses, that puts them behind schedule. The run game is almost Barry Sanders-ish. 3 carries for losses and then busting one for 50. Not that that was Sanders fault - horrible Lions o-line I know.

I don't remember which game it was, but Foster had something like 24 carries in a game for 120 yards or something like that. Looks like an awesome day, 5 yard average per carry, but 12 of his 24 carries that day were for less than 2 yards, with about 4 or 5 going for losses. The run game is just too inconsistant, even though at the end of the day, they're a top rushing team.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote