View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012   #28
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A good read found on TC's blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Eh. All coaches and players have strengths and weaknesses. When everybody was talking just about Kubiak's weaknesses, nobody was talking about his strengths. So it might seem like I'm being partial, but really I'm trying to bring balance to the discussion.

When everybody was talking about firing Kubiak two seasons ago, he had the 2nd most efficient offense in the league. It's actually hard to win 6 games/be competitive in more when you have the worst defense in the league.

Was it Kubiak's desire to go into the 2010 season with an entirely inexperienced secondary? Don't know. But it is pretty easy to say that the Texans would have a much better team if they got better coaching on the defensive side of the ball.

Ultimately, if I thought the Texans would have had a better shot at winning faster if Kubiak was fired in 2010, I would have advocated for it. I've advocated for various firings in the past. But for me, at the time, I didn't think that was worth doing, especially when the rumor was that Rick Smith was going to stay and Kubiak was going to get fired. That rumor made not one lick of sense to me.

In any event, I was right, you were wrong. Neener neener. You can call that a blind spot, but I call it scoreboard.

(But thanks for the kind words on non-Kubiak topics. )
And the bolded here was what I was saying in my earlier post. Kubiak shouldn't get a pass because his offense was prolific but the defense was horrible and his secondary wasn't coached right. He had a massive hand in hiring those coaches. He had a massive hand in drafting those players. He had a culture of FOG..Friends of Gary. That goes into the equation just as much as the offense. So while your instincts may be right overall, it doesn't mean that people can rewrite history. Wade was basically pushed on the franchise because no other D Coordinator they found worthy worked. He has basically saved the team and Gary. Gary is great on offense. Wade is great on defense. Overall it makes one great team. He didn't lose the team and they played hard but it doesn't erase those mistakes. Love your work!

Again Gary had the players supporting him. He has a great O mind. The culture changed when Wade got there and coached up the D right. Right now things are A-1. But alot of the previous 5 years can't be rewritten just because he is a success now. JMO.