View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012   #23
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A good read found on TC's blog

I found myself in agreement with this comment posted after the interview/article:

Quote:
Richie November 12, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I love that Wade Phillips’ twitter handle is @sonofbum.

I am not following the Houston situation closely, but I see one particular relevant trend: when Wade Phillips takes over as HC/DC, the teams’ defense improves every time – many times by a significant amount.

Here are the Defensive SRS improvements between year 1 of Wade Phillips and the year before he arrived:

Houston – 6.9 points (took a negative DSRS and made it positive)
Dallas – 3.0 points (neg to pos)
San Diego – 9.2 points (neg to pos)
Atlanta – 3.5 (neg to pos)
Buffalo – 1.4 (took a negative DSRS, and improved it, but it was still negative)
Denver – 9.1 (neg to pos)
Philadelphia – 0.1 (the only time he took over a positive DSRS team, and it improved by a tiny bit)
New Orleans – 7.1 (neg to pos)

I don’t see any reason to think that Gary Kubiak suddenly became a better coach. I think he added one of the best defensive coordinators of all time. I’m not saying that Kubiak is a bad coach, I’m just saying he probably hasn’t changed much.
Wade is certainly one of the best defensive coordinators of our time. What he has done in Houston is nothing short of phenomenal.