View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012   #32
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 65936 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brett Hartmanns back with vengeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Well, I found this, FWIW:

So the initial roster is active + all those = 90 players. Active has to be cut to 75 and then 53, but not sure how many spots that leaves for suspended players and the like. Either way, I can't find anything that says unsigned, suspended players serve out their suspensions while unemployed. It would make more sense if they could, but I just can't find anything to confirm that. I had heard that this was not the case, but also cannot confirm that. Seems like they categorize players suspended for less than a year differently, maybe?

*shrug*

EDIT - OK, also found this piece from Mike Florio, which sheds a little more light on it:

So do we know if Hartmann's eight game suspension came down after he was cut by the Texans, or before? I think the three game suspension came while he was still with the team, but wasn't sure about the latter. Also, it looks like the league uses the suspension mechanism to blackball players at times.
It came down after he was cut, but my understanding is that it was issued as a modification of the original suspension, not as a new 8 game suspension, so he still gets credit whether he's under contract to an NFL team or not.