View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012   #67
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316
Default Re: Overall fan response not what I expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
my view isn't pessimism. It's realism. The Stadium is packed, the tailgate lots are overflowing and the team isn't even close to being blacked out on any given Sunday. You guys act like the Stadium is half empty because not everyone is a face-painter or the forum is overflowing with "way over the top guy" spewing dumb homer chants crying about your lack of slaps on the back. Look around...everyone is excited about the team.

It isn't pessimism to say that the fans won't be overwhelmed with more Oiler-style success. If that is as good as it gets...fine, but I have the opinion that we won't see the type of following that the Cowboys get or the Patriots get or the Steelers get until we do what the Cowboys or the Patriots and the Steelers have done...win some Super Bowls. Until then we will get what the Falcons get or the Bills get...fans happy with the team but no over the top fan reaction like the teams get when they win it all a time or two.
I'm fine with what you are saying, but to drop the "realism" card is a bother. Realism about an 8-1 football team? What exactly are you being realistic about? We aren't talking about a fringe contender with an 5-4 record, saying..."ehh, MAYBE we're a playoff team?"

The "Don't get too close, she'll break your heart" mentality is at work here.

With Super Bowls, I think this city's fans would be Giants fan-like; even with multiple titles. I could be wrong, but that's how I see it. "Yeah, we won those, but..."

And don't bring up ATL, please. That fan base is horrid with ALL their teams.

Lastly, cak. That's why I mentioned the Oilers. Even if this franchise saw Carolina/Jacksonville-like success, would we really not have this thread?