View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012   #88
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hit on Cutler...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
What if? Who cares? If a defensive player hits them IN THE HEAD (/Vizzini), then it's going to be a penalty. I'm not saying it's right, I'm not saying what ought to be, I'm saying if you hit a QB, or really any offensive player, IN THE HEAD, you're going to get a penalty and probably a fine. That's just the way the NFL is now.
Helmet to helmet contact is allowed against a running back while he's a runner. It's even allowed against a receiver if he's not defenseless at the time.

And that's where the problem with the definition comes in. According to the rules, as soon as a QB leaves the pocket, he's supposed to "stop" being a QB and he's supposed to become a runner with the option of sliding and giving himself up to keep from being hit.

If that's the case, then Dobbins should have been able to hit him just like he did without a penalty. If the pass was illegal, then he shouldn't have been a QB anymore, he should have been a runner. The fact that he passed should be his mistake, not Dobbins'.

BUT. That's not the way the rules are going to be called. QBs are always going to get the benefit of the doubt. You hit a QB high OR low at your own risk.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote