View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012   #45
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Oilers would have lost this game

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
DB and I had a conversation the other day about how experiences build expectations. He was explaining the air of always waiting for the other shoe to drop and how you could sit in the stadium in Houston and hear people muttering "how are they going to figure out how to lose this one." I was explaining how that mystified me when I started going to games here (although the only Oilers game I ever attended was the KC playoff loss against Montana). Coming from the halcyon days of Dallas with Roger "Captain Comeback" Staubach through playoff clutch Aikman I grew up thinking every game was winnable even when down by 20 pts.
From the perspectives of fans, this is the crux of the matter. It's all about conditioning, and year after year, the Oilers conditioned Houston fans to expect choke.

We simply do not know how to believe in a championship team in this city. We have had very talented football teams that certainly had potential, but the fact of the matter is that they always fell short. Some moments are so ingrained into our collective psyche, the "where were you when...?" moments, that they rival huge events of national importance. For instance, ALL Oilers fans vividly remember that January day at the drop of a hat.

Hopefully the Texans really are a so-called 'team of destiny' and break that cycle with a Super Bowl win. Like Marcus mentioned, this is the ONLY cure for chokaphobia. And only then can we lay the past to rest and allow ourselves to renew pure optimism with every new football season. Exorcising those demons from the hearts, souls, and minds of Houston football fans would be a huge relief.

But, until that happens, I cannot deny that voice in the back of my head reminding me of that other shoe and wondering when it's going to fall.