View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012   #69
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kareem Jackson allowing only 2.5 receptions and 35 yards per game

I wrote a long-A addendum to Fiddler's post but didn't really want to "rehash" so I put it off.

Guess I should have gone ahead with it, so here goes.

I have never liked the fact that they (the Texans) threw too much out there for the young guys to learn.

I had talked at length how the Pats used McCourty in the first half of his rookie season.
They played cover 2 for the most part and relied on the pass rush of the front four (or front three, depending).

As little as they blitzed, their front did an adequate job (they were as "efficient" as we were without as much blitzing.)

This allowed them to "almost always" have a safety over the top to help McCourty.
This in turn, gave McCourty the freedom to play aggressive without fear of getting burned deep whether in zone or in man under.

In the second half of the season, they gave McCourty more responsibilities and he looked bad.

On the other hand, I can guarantee with you that in the second half, KJax was already ahead of the learning curve.
Most of the bad plays occured in the first half of the season.

Which came back to how they threw KJax into the fire from the get-go.
(So much that Kubiak had to admit to some reporter at the 2011 combine that they put KJax in some bad situations.)

Not only did they install him as the #1 CB, they also left him on an island quite a bit.
And when he wasn't supposed to be on an island, his safety help failed him on many occasions.

I had also made comparison with Patrick Peterson who was a high draft choice for the Cardinals the following year (2011).
The Cards did put him in a tough situation just the same; however, his safety help was better than what KJax got.
Yet, he got burned even worse as ProFootballFocus charged him as the third guy on the list of "marked men" in 2011, giving up 869 yards on 67 receptions.
(McCourty was the second man on the list, giving up 1,004 yards on 62 receptions.)

Neither McCourty nor Peterson had to spend time learning "new" stuffs like the shuffle.

The learning curve between McCourty and KJax couldn't have been any more different.
It was like one guy was going to regular school, and the other was in advanced placement classes.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote