View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012   #15
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 31037 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hit on Cutler...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Cutler became a RB the minute he "crossed" (Or when the Refs thought he crossed if you believe he didn't) the LOS. He therefore loses the protections of being a QB.

In all honesty the rule should probably be ammended because a QB doesn't run the ball the way a RB does. There should be some kind of defenseless QB rule when running. The QB is vunarable until he is way past the LOS.

I was screaming at the TV, although glad for the illegal forward pass, but pissed, because that was kind of having it both ways. I always wonder if the coaches yell some of the same things fans do when there are those strange calls.
Does the QB run the differently when Cam Newton runs or RGIII runs an option play? If the rule is changed to protect a defenseless QB when running rule, then a QB should not be allow to run for positive yardage. As soon as the QB reaches the LOS, the play is whistled dead for no gain. The worst abuser of the Qb running treatment was Steve Young. When a defender closed on him, he would lean his chest back and jut his knees out like he was starting to slide. If the defender backed off, he would shift to the side and run for another 6 or 10 yards. If the defender didn't back off, he did the slide for the penalty.

We did get the best of the off setting penalties because the big play was wiped out. I still say the calls were inconsistent. Unless if it is 4th and 4, and Arian Foster is about to get drilled for a 2 yard gain he could throw the ball forward and get a do over on off setting penalties.