View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012   #121
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2013 Texans Draft Needs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Texans will have to address long term contracts for both JJ Watt & Brian Cushing. Then guys like Barwin, Jackson & Quin are due. Texan brass on Kirby may look genius now but their work is never done & wil have to not only make the right choices, tough choices as well plus some Luck.

Good time this off-season to resign Cushing & Barwin. After that they will need to add several complimentary players on the cheap via draft/FA.
I think we will see these guys extended in their last contract year as with Schaub and Foster and Myers. Cushing 2013 & Watt 2014. I am hopeful Quin and Casey gets renewed this off season. For example, I could see Antonio Smith (turned 31 Oct '12) being extended 2-3 years lowering his base from $6m(cap $8.5m) 2014.

As Jonathan Joseph is at $7.5m for '13 & '14 he seems a primary re-do that could bring Cushing back.

Schaub at $10 m ('14) 7 $12m ('15) could also be looked at then.

For me the future moves with Kareem Jackson free agent in 2015 with Watt and Derek Newton are more interesting. Still some time off but you can bet Chris Olsen Texans cap guru is working his calculator. KJ looks like a permanent fixture and Newton is holding his own at right tackle. All three could command mucho pesos.

To add spice and intrigue, TJ Yates and Brook Reed also are FAs in 15. I think both of these could be addressed by draft picks in same scenario we find Conner Barwin this year. The new CBA could really work in team's favor as planned.

Myers could be replaced by Jones in 2014 saving $5m & $6m (2015) for Watt.

I think all our prime time free agents can be re-signed if Smith wants them.
Another reason our drafts going forward excites me.