View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Arian Foster running out of bounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Back in the '70's, Franco Harris used to take a lot of heat from Steelers fans because he ran out of bounds at the end of plays. They had a lot of respect for Earl Campbell because he never ran out of bounds.

However, Franco added years to his career with that tactic, while poor Earl cannot even walk these days.

With Foster being the workhorse for this offense, I think it's smart to minimize getting hit whenever possible. We need that dude in the Super Bowl!!
He had a post-game interview this year, Monday night game vs. Jets IIRC, and Stuart Scott asked him about his life in the NFL.....

Arian said "I try to ask guys who played the game, every chance I get, to tell me their wisdom...what they wish they had done differently, what they did that helped them, anything I could get from them...any little nugget of wisdom they could share with me."

I would imagine that was a pretty significant portion of wisdom shared with him, maybe by Earl Campbell...maybe by other RBs...that hey, you want to play a long time? Take care of your body.

We only have to look at Chris Brown who got blasted when he played the Texans as a Titans RB. Sideline hit. Knocked him silly, was never the same again. For what? Trying to be tough, trying to get an extra yard on a normal carry (not a game winning carry or anything necessary, btw).

I know people think I'm hard on Foster for being vegan. I just think that sometimes you can get too cute with stuff, and for me the vegan issue is split--One half is great, your body is cleaner and more efficient, but the other half (and it's just my opinion) is that plant-based proteins cannot provide your muscles with the same fuel that animal-based proteins can. Plants don't have muscles. Animals and humans do. I know that's a base example, but oh well.

Still, that he uses a Segway to take stress off his feet, ankles, and knees is damn smart. That he wants to live clean on an animal-free diet is fine with me too. And that he wants to duck out of bounds after getting 15 or 20 yards in the middle of a blowout is definitely a smart decision.

He's playing this like a marathon, and it's the smart route to go.