View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012   #96
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2013 Texans Draft Needs?

Wow doing Texans 2013 draft needs in order of importance is tough, harder than I thought it would be. I think the Texans take a BPA at a position of need approach to the draft.

1. NT, Cody will be a FA, not worthy of an expensive FA contract, and Mitchell isn't ready to be a full time NT. I think Mitchell should be moved to DE depth with the injury to Jamison and solve our DE depth issues. 1st or 2nd round pick.

2. WR, I like Martin at #3 in the slot but Jean has shown nothing, and I think Posey was just a mistake. Obvious need, 1st - 3rd round pick.

3. O-line, RT is the giant elephant in the room that's obvious to everyone but no one knows what to do yet. I guess we'll know more about Newton at the end of the season. I still think a quality OT/OG pick is a necessity as the future of the O-line looks to be changing in the next couple years (Caldwell, W. Smith, and possibly Newton). This might be addresses twice in rounds 2 - 5.

4. ILB, provided Cushing is back next year it sure would be nice to have a young talented 2 down ILB playing next to him, one with potential for the future. 3rd - 5th round.

5. CB, I think we lose McCain to FA so some depth here would be nice. We still don't know what we have in Harris and Carmichael. 4th - 5th round.

6. FB & P, they're not glaring needs but solidifying these positions for years to come sure would be nice with some young inexpensive talent. 6th or 7th round.

DE is a possibility if like BB says and we save the 6 mil. salary but pay out the 2.5 mil. bonus to Antonio Smith. He's been playing really well and I'd hate to lose him in a money saving venture. Also if we cut Antonio to save money we'd be replacing 2/3 of our D-line at one time, and that can't be good.

TE is also a possibility but I think OD contract makes it unwise to cut him to try and save some money and he has also been playing extremely well this year, contrary to what I thought would happen. Got that one wrong obviously. Wrap some bacon around it and even crow tastes good.

RB is another possibility depending on what we do with Tate in the offseason. His trade stock sure seems to be going down this year though with little use and injuries. Hopefully he gets better and plows us into the playoffs and raises his trade stock again. With so many other needs/places to improve we sure could use the extra picks.

Safety, if we re-sign Quin this isn't really much of a need, I like Demps and Nolan as depth. They aren't starters but they're not bad either, maybe some late round Safety competition that moves Keo off the roster.

OLB, another position that's only a possibility if we lose Barwin to FA. I sure don't want him to go but I can only see him staying if we really get a sweet heart deal from him. I think BB might be right here, we may lose him, I'm 50/50 on the issue at this time. We won't be keeping Mercilus on the bench next season but we could possibly move Reed to ILB so that we can keep all 3 (Barwin, Reed, and Mercilus) and also solve our ILB issues at the same time. Food for thought.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote