View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012   #94
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2013 Texans Draft Needs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I know it's a bit early but what do you think our team needs will be in the 2013 draft? Take into account players reaching FA, expensive players about to reach FA, salary cap casualties, needs not addressed in 2012 draft, under performing players, etc... I can forcast the needs being:

DE, I think Antonio Smith is a salary cap casualty and depending on value may be replaced early unless Crick just becomes a beast.
DT/NT, I think Sean Cody is a salary cap casualty and a new rotation at NT will be Mitchell and 2013 draft pick unless Fangupo becomes a beast from UDFA.
CB, you can never have to many good CB's and next season we'll see what we have in Jackson, Carmichael, and Harris. If someone lets us down this could be an early pick.
RB, Tate will be a FA after 2013 season so we may look for a replacement a year early depending on value on the board and trade Tate after next season, like the Pats do, unless he agrees to a very team friendly extension which isn't likely.
OT, Butler will be a FA after next season and thus will become quite expensive unless we're sure he's the future of the RT position and we extend him in mid season for a team friendly price.
WR, regardless of the 2012 draft we probably still have a big hole at #2 WR.
QB, we had a thread devoted to the possible trade up in 2013 draft for a future franchise QB unless we see alot of improvement in Yates next season.
TE, OD is getting more expensive and he's just not as good as he was 2-3 yrs. ago.

Opinions?
Decided to read your original thread again at 7-1. I may have posted this before but it is so obvious to me (lol) Crick may eventually replace Smith but maybe not if Smith plays as he has last two seasons. Texans would save his last contract year bonus $2.5m count against 2013 cap but could save his $6m salary if cut after this season. That is significant and at 32 next year, I cannot see him being extended even to lower his salary. How do we replace him? I use to think Earl Mitchell, not so sure now. If we see more of Crick that should tell us something.

Nose in draft is a must.

Corner? I think we are solid UNLESS Joseph's injury get's worth or reduces his ability. He is good at 90 % but we need him to be JJ of last year rest of his career. He plays such an important role.

Tate I cannot get a grasp of him or what to do going forward. He is rib-eye on the field but if you can only look at it on the menu, it does nothing to feed the hunger. I think his trade value is dropping every missed game. Hopefully, he will be back soon & have solid games. We were in driver's seat with trading him for value or playing him thru his cheap 2013 contract.

Forsett is all over the board even if his over all avg is good 4.4. How he got there is crazy first and last game less than 2 yds avg with second and third very good 5.3 (Baltimore) 6.7 GB. Too crazy to figure out. He's probably gone in free agency.

WR if a Woods or Allen (injury out for season) drops we should draft him first round as a franchise type player. I do not see that. I am hoping Nix falls to us in second so we can use first for a special guy I am reviewing. Problem is, how do you allow the best Nose to get past you in first and sweat 32+ picks? See above..Nose is a must.

TE: are you feeling silly yet about OD not as good as 2-3 years earlier? At mid season, he is avg 4.62 receptions/game x 13.9 yds per catch= 64.2875 per game x 8 remaining games= 514.3 yds. He has 478 + 514= 992 yards. As he is 30 (Nov 9th) with two years left = $8.5, do you bonus him & extend him a couple years non guaranteed to lower cap hit? Could Casey step into OD's shoes next season and we cut Daniels & save 8.5m? If so, better find a FB. Would Graham be a possible FB?

OLB (not on your list) nothing has changed to convince me Barwin returns.