View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012   #92
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2013 Texans Draft Needs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsorc View Post
I don't think Jamison changes our draft plans. We were likely to draft a DE anyways to groom in case Antonio leaves in the near future. Newton's play at RT has net been as good as expected making that our biggest need.

I see us re-signing Quin and Casey and one of the vet ILBs. I think Barwin gets paid more elsewhere and Cody is replaceable. With that said here's how I see our draft needs:

Early:
RT - Newton has failed IMO but would be a good swing tackle. Unfortunately, most of the top this OT class are juniors so it remains to be seen if there will be one for us at the end of round 1.

Middle:
ILB - Need a starter here. This is not a higher need because it's a 2-down position. I think the biggest question is whether we want a coverage LB or a thumper type. Our ILBs this season have struggled in coverage but generally the 2-down ILB is used in running and not passing downs.
DT - Similar to ILB. Don't think we go for a behemoth as ability to penetrate is more important in this system.
OG/C - Caldwell replacement and potential heir to Wade Smith. If they can play OC even better given that our backup OC is now our starting RG.
CB - McCain is a FA and we seem to draft a mid-round CB often.

Late or BPA in earlier rounds:
DE - Will Antonio price himself out of our range?
S - Can we find somebody better that Quintin Demps as our dime back?
WR - Will Kubiak give up on Posey this early? Walter also only has 1 more season with no guaranteed money left.
RB - Tate might be trade-bait
TE - no true blocking TE on the team anymore.
OLB - Just for depth. Mercilus can replace Barwin's production.
I disagree with you on Newton. He gave up the sack to Mario but compare him to D. Brown's first season. Derek is in second year but only had about 17 snaps last season.