Originally Posted by Doppelganger
Yes, I know its a bit early, but I have been fiddling with this mock for a couple of weeks and figured I would share it with my other Mock enthusiasts. For the purpose of this mock, I am giving the Texans a 3rd and 5th round supplemental pick(3rd for Mario and 5th for Jacoby/Brisel). As always, enjoy, and please leave feedback....
1. D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama, 6’6 335lbs, 5.15
2. Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida, 6’3, 301lbs, 4.98
3. Travis Long, OLB, Washington State, 6’3, 256lbs, 4.79
3. (Mario Williams compensatory pick).
Kenny Stills, WR, Oklahoma, 6’1, 189, 4.53
4. Chris Borland, ILB, Wisconsin, 5’11, 242lbs, 4.72
5. Trey Millard, FB, Oklahoma, 6’2, 249, 4.71
5(compensatory for Mike Brisiel and/or Jacoby Jones )
Spencer Long, OG, Nebraska, 6’4, 305 lbs, 5.25
6. Quinn Sharp, P/K, Oklahoma State, 6’1. 205lbs
7. Ray Ray Armstrong, S, Faulkner University, 6’4, 220lbs, 4.59
Ok, folks... let me have it!
I like it. It fills some holes, provides depth, and has some players that I am a fan of myself.
1) I like upgrading RT, and agree 100% on Newton. And while I think FLuker grades out pretty highly, I worry about him fitting into the Texans scheme. You dont seem to have the same reservations, but I am concerned about his lateral movement and ability to make cut blocks. If this were the pick, I would be happy.
2) Hmmm... I like drafting a NT, but I just dont know enough about Floyd to say I like him. He has never stood out to me when I watch UF. I think that we could get some better value later.
3) Long should be a good OLB in the 3-4. He reminds me a lot of Reed in his pluses and minuses. Definitely happy with him in the 3rd.
3) I really like Stills, but I think he is a complementary player in the NFL. I great number 2, but he wont succeed as a number 1. However, I realize the odds of getting a number 1 this late in the draft is unlikely (which is why I advocate drafting one in the 1st or 2nd), and Stills is going to be an NFLer. Not thrilled, but I dont hate it. It does create quite the logjam at WR though. Between Posey/Martin/Jean/Walter/Stills, who gets cut, what does the depth chart look like?
4) Big fan of Borland., and of the Home Improvement joke. Great pick.
5) Sold on Millard. Heck of a player.
5) Dont know a lot about your OG. Do we need an OG? I have petty high hopes for Brooks and Jones. Still, this late in the draft grabbing some OL depth is never a bad decision.
6) Ehhhh, not a fan of drafting a P. Jones has been fine, and I think we could use this pick to add depth/STers at other positions.
7) Not sold on Armstrong. He is talented, but I dont think he moves well enough to work in Wade's D. Remember, Quin is the current SS. Armstrong would be better against the run, but much, much worse against the pass.