View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012   #59
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 346173 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What happened to the turtle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I'm kind of tired of beating this dead horse, but in one last attempt to clarify ....

When a coach calls a play and it fails, that's on the players. When the coach calls that play in the same situation later on, that's a coach challenging his players. Somewhere between that point and 6.5 years into his head coaching career, he ought to have developed the ability to recognize when he needs to adjust. If you feel like Kubiak is the master of adjusting, playing the chess game against other coaches, and is generally out-coaching the competition, then there's not much I can say about that. I'm not saying that's how you feel; just putting it in stark contrast.

In addition to that, I almost never want to see a play called that has no chance to succeed. That 3rd and long draw play, especially when you habitually put it on film for everyone to anticipate, is exactly that. No one's saying call a Hail Mary on 3rd and long, but mix it up. Call a screen play, call a clear-out underneath crossing pattern, try a bubble screen, try a pitch play ... hell, ANYTHING that isn't excessively risky. He's built a Super Bowl team. If he can't trust them to run a medium-low risk play without turning the ball over, then they either aren't as good as we all think, or he has a control issue.
Not trying to compare coaches, but Belichick calls a draw play on 3rd and 17 and they get 18 yards and a first down. Genius? Only if it's a success, of course.

I'm no apologist for Kubiak. However, I think some criticism originates from conditioned attitudes from previous years. Not pointing at you as an individual, but just the fan base in general.

I have specifically paid attention to other games and play calling by teams with leads. And what Kubiak does is not much different than any other coach in the league, including ones that have won Super Bowls.

You are right in that "He's built a Super Bowl team." So they should act and perform like it accordingly, if you know what I mean.