View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012   #78
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: (Alan Burge column) Tate a happy Texan; Ryan Mathews "scared" he'd be a Texan

I was one of the ones pounding on the table for Ryan Mathews. And in the same situation, I'd still be pounding on the table for the best RB we could find.

Usually, the best running backs in the league are high round draft picks. Not always, but usually.

If you want to have a superior running game, then you need to invest in the position. That means a mixture of high and low round draft choices. Draft RBs early and often.

Why? Because it's a position that breaks. You need a talented stable of RBs to draw on.

The fact that you can get yards with a lower round back or that a higher round draft choice might only give you a couple of years of productivity doesn't mean that you should stop drafting RBs in the early rounds, it means you should pick up a quality back whenever you have the chance.

After a few good games at the end of his rookie season, we really didn't know if Arian was a hoss who could carry us or if he was a Chris Taylor who would break and fade away. So we had to draft a RB early that year. We were a running team without a certified stud RB.

And we did draft a RB early; we got Tate. And that's been a huge boost to us. But he's breaking. It's time to pick out another couple of good RBs in this upcoming draft and select them. Unless Forsett and Grimes really step up. (And even then, I'd consider drafting at least 1 RB.)
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote