View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012   #53
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Would Phillips leave after a Super Bowl?

I don't agree with the idea that Bob had no real desire to field a winning franchise and only ponied up the money for a name DC when the fans started to turn on the team and that threatened his revenue source. I think he's always tried to field a winning team and I don't think he's ever been cheap about it. I think, for the most part, he's hired people who were supposed to know what they were doing and then got out of the way and let them do it.

I think he's put down the ground rules, though. He wants a team built along the Steeler's template and that includes building primarily through the draft and being extremely patient with coaches. I believe he's put some stipulations in place that he wants a team composed of "high class" players but I don't think that means he'll say no to someone who has some history. He just doesn't want to become the Bengals -- going after high-talent, low-class guys who have high up-side but are also risky -- and he doesn't want to become the Redskins -- spending tons of cash on whatever high-priced free-agent is out there.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote