View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012   #17
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 66612 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans special teams: What is fixable, not fixable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Obviously, Marciano will get the chance to straighten out special teams. Nobody thinks he will be let go midseason. If that turnaround doesn't happen, I think this should be his last season. Excuses were made for Richard Smith and Frank Bush, as well, but at some point it's time to try a different direction.

Every team has to make do with backups on special teams. Besides, Manning is 30 years old, and his best returns are well behind him. Special teams is about taking lemons and making lemonade.
I'm not sure you can put Marciano in the same category as Smith and Bush, because 1. They never ever ever ever had a history of any sort of success in their jobs; 2. They were inexperienced at their jobs. That's not to say that experienced guys with a track record of doing good stuff never get fired, but there was zero reason to believe that Smith and Bush would put a good defense on the field. At the time they were hired.

If the Texans end the year 32nd, I'm sure that is one of the things they look at. In recent years, they've hired him assistants, though one left before he started working for the team.

And there are some teams that do put a priority on experienced special teams players more than others. I have a hard time thinking Manning wouldn't be good at special teams given what he did in spot duty against the Ravens last year.