View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012   #15
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans special teams: What is fixable, not fixable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure how being a better backup LB, OL, CB etc. translates to not being as good a special teams player. Why doesn't a better backup LB translate to a better ST player (or at a minimum, not a worse one)?

This strikes me as the ultimate Coach Joe apologist argument.
I'm not a Coach Joe apologist or an apologist for anyone.

I want the Texans to win more than just about anything in the world, and there are pluses and minuses to different approaches.

An example of this would be my example of Troy Evans. Troy Evans was a tremendous special teams player. Pretty much in the early years, you could count on Evans being the first on the stop.

He wasn't the most athletic guy, but he was a good lockerroom guy who got along well with different player cliques, and a very smart special teams player. A leader.

But if you were looking to develop a linebacker for the future of the franchise, someone who could be a NFL starter, you would not be keeping Troy Evans around for his special teams ability. That and vet minimum salaries are too high for guys who aren't position contributors.