View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012   #38
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 3 Amigo Texan "BYE WEEK" Mock 2013 Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
1 – Robert Woods – WR, USC
- Love this guy. He has a Walter-like knack for getting open on crucial downs. Seems to be a ‘student of the game’ at WR. Not very many college WR’s are so adept at sifting through zones and finding soft spots. I think, lined up across from Andre, we would be lethal on the outside. However, once Andre is gone, I’m not sure he’s the kind of guy who can carry the WR corp (much like Andre has done) by himself.

*I’m very intrigued with his teammate Marquise Lee, but kid is a Soph.
It is hard not to like Woods, but even so, I think you are underselling him a bit. Sure, he wont be dominant like AJ, but who really is? Those guys usually go in the top half of the round. However, I think that Woods can be a serviceable number 1. He has the sublime route running ability to allow him to get open consistently, and has the hands to catch what comes to him. Furthermore, he is a dangerous runner in the open field.

Quote:
2 – Louis Nix – DT, Notre Dame
- Not sure if we he will be available at this point. He’s shooting up draft boards right now. That’s if he comes out, BTW. Very disruptive at the point of attack. Could even be considered somewhat of a playmaker, which is odd for a NT. Good pass rusher for his size. Has experience playing in the middle of a 3-man front (not many projected NT’s do). I’m a fan, but he only comes out if he’s going higher than this, IMO.

*You can attribute a lot of Teo’s success to this guy.
What you are saying could very well be true. However, as of now, I have him ranked in this range (low 2nd- ranked behind Lotulelei, Hankins and Short in terms of NTs), and I think he could very well leave ND this year. He considered transferring to UF, so he is not 100% satisfied there.

Quote:
3 – C.J. Fiedorowicz – TE, Iowa
- Like this guy. He has suffered from poor QB play this year, but already has more receptions this year than last. Good blocker and receiver and has good hands. With the emergence of the spread, guys like this are a dying breed. I don’t know what it is about Iowa, but they know TE’s. I love complete TE’s like this who can contribute in all phases.

* Another TE I like around this part of the draft would be Zach Ertz (Stanford). Not as polished, but has a ton of potential.
Excellent.

Quote:
(3) – Andrew Jackson – ILB, Western Kentucky
- Not all too familiar with this guy. I know Saban thinks he’s pretty good. I’ve heard a lot of positive things about him, but I haven’t seen him play so I’ll refrain from analysis.
He is a good player. Try to get some film on him if you can. WKU sucks, but Jackson always stands out.

Quote:
4 – Lane Johnson – OT, Oklahoma
- Good depth candidate. Seems like he’d be a good fit as a swing tackle with developmental potential. Agree that he could immediately replace Butler. Seems to have an overall developed game. Not great at anything, but not bad at anything either.
Yeah, we have the same eval.

Quote:
(5) – Etienne Sabino – OLB, Ohio State
- Ehh. Not a fan of his. Very athletic and flashes playmaking ability, but makes a lot of mistakes. When Michigan played them last year, OSU was starting a true freshman LB with an injured leg at the other LB..….UM ran at Sabino anyway (very successfully). He just doesn’t seem to have the mental aspect of the game down to me.
You would not be biased, would you now Michigan? This late in the draft, we were looking for some talent to develop. Sabino has great athletic talent, but you are right, he still needs some work in becoming a football player. He should play special teams right away while he develops.

Quote:
(5) – Josh Johnson – CB, Purdue
- Great pick, love this guy. Extremely underrated prospect. Would be a guy to target as a Quin protégée. If we want CB’s who can tackle playing Safety, this is a guy to pursue. Very physical and great tackler. I salivate at the thought of drafting this kid.
Solid

Quote:
6 – Zach Boren – FB, Ohio State
- I hate this kid, so I’m obviously biased. I don’t really see the need to take a FB here if you’ve already taken a TE earlier. Daniels, Graham, Casey, & Fiedorowicz all at TE is a logjam if I’ve ever seen one. Keeping Casey at FB in this situation just makes sense. I think we’re better as an offense with an H-Back type guy playing FB anyway.

*The new offense at OSU has limited his offensive snaps so he has played some LB recently. Could be a good ST guy, has the right mentality.
We would keep Casey as an HB, Boren just takes Clutts' spot on the roster. It is all about adding wrinkles to the offense. Imagine a skill position formation with Casey, Boren, Foster, Fiedo, AJ, and Woods on a second and 2. Do pass? D we run? We could dominate either way.

Quote:
7 – Kapron Lewis-Moore – DE, Notre Dame
- Meh. Good kid, marginal talent. I guess he could find a niche in the NFL because of specialty, like Jamison has done. He’s been outplayed by better talents at ND already (Stephon Tuitt, So. & Sheldon Day, Fr.). If we go DE I’d rather go earlier or grab someone with more potential.

*Keep an eye on the Tuitt kid. Could come out early next year and be the next Watt.
KLM is a depth/ST player. Hard-worker type with the right frame to play 3-4 DE. Tuitt has potential though, thanks for mentioning that. ND is stacked on D this year, especially on the line.

Quote:
Overall:
I think it works, but it could be better. Obviously I don’t agree with taking both a TE and FB. The first 3 picks hit and Johnson is a late gem, IMO. Would like to see another interior OL brought in, but that’s not a sticking point. Good job fellas. A lot of hard work and it is appreciated!

*I didn’t realize you guys were just drafting from the B1G/ND though. It seems kind of odd to be so B1G heavy in this draft when it’s the worst the conference has been in years.
I cant speak for the others, but I am not worried about interior OL. Players like Jones and Brooks should be ready to step up next year, and I would expect a FA type to come in like Smith did a few years ago.

As for the Big 10 part- it was unintentional. Still, it makes some sense- look at last year's draft.

Thanks for your thoughts.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote