Re: 3 Amigo Texan "BYE WEEK" Mock 2013 Draft
1 – Robert Woods – WR, USC
- Love this guy. He has a Walter-like knack for getting open on crucial downs. Seems to be a ‘student of the game’ at WR. Not very many college WR’s are so adept at sifting through zones and finding soft spots. I think, lined up across from Andre, we would be lethal on the outside. However, once Andre is gone, I’m not sure he’s the kind of guy who can carry the WR corp (much like Andre has done) by himself.
*I’m very intrigued with his teammate Marquise Lee, but kid is a Soph.
2 – Louis Nix – DT, Notre Dame
- Not sure if we he will be available at this point. He’s shooting up draft boards right now. That’s if he comes out, BTW. Very disruptive at the point of attack. Could even be considered somewhat of a playmaker, which is odd for a NT. Good pass rusher for his size. Has experience playing in the middle of a 3-man front (not many projected NT’s do). I’m a fan, but he only comes out if he’s going higher than this, IMO.
*You can attribute a lot of Teo’s success to this guy.
3 – C.J. Fiedorowicz – TE, Iowa
- Like this guy. He has suffered from poor QB play this year, but already has more receptions this year than last. Good blocker and receiver and has good hands. With the emergence of the spread, guys like this are a dying breed. I don’t know what it is about Iowa, but they know TE’s. I love complete TE’s like this who can contribute in all phases.
* Another TE I like around this part of the draft would be Zach Ertz (Stanford). Not as polished, but has a ton of potential.
(3) – Andrew Jackson – ILB, Western Kentucky
- Not all too familiar with this guy. I know Saban thinks he’s pretty good. I’ve heard a lot of positive things about him, but I haven’t seen him play so I’ll refrain from analysis.
4 – Lane Johnson – OT, Oklahoma
- Good depth candidate. Seems like he’d be a good fit as a swing tackle with developmental potential. Agree that he could immediately replace Butler. Seems to have an overall developed game. Not great at anything, but not bad at anything either.
(5) – Etienne Sabino – OLB, Ohio State
- Ehh. Not a fan of his. Very athletic and flashes playmaking ability, but makes a lot of mistakes. When Michigan played them last year, OSU was starting a true freshman LB with an injured leg at the other LB..….UM ran at Sabino anyway (very successfully). He just doesn’t seem to have the mental aspect of the game down to me.
(5) – Josh Johnson – CB, Purdue
- Great pick, love this guy. Extremely underrated prospect. Would be a guy to target as a Quin protégée. If we want CB’s who can tackle playing Safety, this is a guy to pursue. Very physical and great tackler. I salivate at the thought of drafting this kid.
6 – Zach Boren – FB, Ohio State
- I hate this kid, so I’m obviously biased. I don’t really see the need to take a FB here if you’ve already taken a TE earlier. Daniels, Graham, Casey, & Fiedorowicz all at TE is a logjam if I’ve ever seen one. Keeping Casey at FB in this situation just makes sense. I think we’re better as an offense with an H-Back type guy playing FB anyway.
*The new offense at OSU has limited his offensive snaps so he has played some LB recently. Could be a good ST guy, has the right mentality.
7 – Kapron Lewis-Moore – DE, Notre Dame
- Meh. Good kid, marginal talent. I guess he could find a niche in the NFL because of specialty, like Jamison has done. He’s been outplayed by better talents at ND already (Stephon Tuitt, So. & Sheldon Day, Fr.). If we go DE I’d rather go earlier or grab someone with more potential.
*Keep an eye on the Tuitt kid. Could come out early next year and be the next Watt.
I think it works, but it could be better. Obviously I don’t agree with taking both a TE and FB. The first 3 picks hit and Johnson is a late gem, IMO. Would like to see another interior OL brought in, but that’s not a sticking point. Good job fellas. A lot of hard work and it is appreciated!
*I didn’t realize you guys were just drafting from the B1G/ND though. It seems kind of odd to be so B1G heavy in this draft when it’s the worst the conference has been in years.
"Those who stay will be champions."
- The Immortal Bo