View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 3 Amigo Texan "BYE WEEK" Mock 2013 Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
great mock guys. i dont watch much college ball and try to stay out of the way when discussing the draft, especially because i can only relate to the positions and not the players specifically, but i have a few questions. how likely are these guys to be available when we draft? you mention possibly needing to trade up for woods which is something i supported in the "needs" thread, but trading up is not something we've traditionally done. as for woods, how's the rest of his game (blocking, locker room, etc)? he's a bit lighter than ideal, but then again you cant teach speed.

it took me a little while to piece it together, but i've come to agree with the early tightend and late fullback. graham is ok, but appears to have the 2nd tightend spot only by default, and could use to be upgraded since we're such a TE heavy team. having another fullback benefits our special teams as well as giving casey more freedom to spread out.

inside linebacker - yall wait until the third round. this is a position that by appearances is traditionally weighted towards late first round or early second. was there not a player here for our first couple of picks? dobbins is surprising a lot of people, but is best as a sub. james, alexander, and the perpetually injured sharpton are very expendable - leaving this one of few real positions of need. we may either need to double up, or look for an earlier pick.

nose tackle, how would yall rate this guy's motor? i'm skeptical of taking a "fat guy" early because of how difficult they are to evaluate, and how little time our current nose is on the field anyways. i would avoid a "project" on the defensive line if at all possible, instead trying to find support behind smith and watt. through 7 games we've yet to allow a rushing touchdown, we're not as bad as some presume up the middle.
Hey, Scooter, thanks for checking in. Good questions. Availability is a prime consideration & while it is of course impossible to know exactly where a candidate will come in at, our constant watch of other boards, comments by respected" analysts, game action, internet articles, etc. usually gets us close. During this mock as well as others we put together, players moved up and down. Sheldon Richardson as well as our guy Robert Woods moved with Woods dropping as BL stated thru no fault of his own. This actually benefits Texans who realistically should have no shot at this potential franchise WR.

Trade ups: Smithiak has a different mind set than Three Amigos. I think I can speak for my cohorts in that we would trade up more frequently than Gary & Ric. We understand the importance of each pick but if you have "that" player who will impact your roster from day one, we say go get him. How much you pay is the thread of contention among us as well as others. For example, I would not have done the Julio Jones trade, although I had mocked him as a very good WR.

TEs: IMO an excellent WR2 reduces somewhat the need for TEs, but like Woods, if you have the chance to bring in a playmaker like Fiedo, you pull the trigger. Fiedorowicz impacts RBs, protect QB, blocks downfield & presents a huge RZ target. In addition, he can drift and pick up yardage thru the air.

ILB: this draft is weak imo. T'eo & Kevin Minter (LSU) should both be gone, Minter in second. T'eo would trump Woods imo do to dire need; Minter would not and falls to second round but again gone before we select. If you have time to watch him Oct 27th 5pm ESPN3 against Florida International you will be in for a treat if you like hard tackling. Jackson is another Dont'a Hightower & starts day one for Texans. To get that quality in 3rd round is remarkable on this Texans team.

Nicks is running under the radar. I admit I was not watching Notre Dame's defense much as T'eo will go early first. BL gave me heads up and it took about two series to see LN3 is the real deal. Motor? This guy might make Watts look disinterested if you consider his weight comparison and position. He will take blockers away from other linemen and plug the middle allowing the LBs to cheat a bit. My only disappointment will be he could climb forcing me to use a first round. Notre Dame vs Oklahoma Oct 27th 7pm ABC. Also, watch for our other pick on D line in that game.

A guy can be big without being Hainesworth. Nicks replaces Cody and starts day 1. We do exactly as you suggest with Kapron Lewis -Moore DE. I don't know if you can scream on a PM, but that is what I did to BL about KLM "Who is that guy!!" We like Crick but KLM could do more than just challenge him.

OBTW? We are as bad up the middle as many think. Wade Phillips is using smoke & mirrors. Cody age/$ for new contract rules him out.

Appreciate you comments.