View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012   #15
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 3 Amigo Texan "BYE WEEK" Mock 2013 Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
great mock guys. i dont watch much college ball and try to stay out of the way when discussing the draft, especially because i can only relate to the positions and not the players specifically, but i have a few questions. how likely are these guys to be available when we draft? you mention possibly needing to trade up for woods which is something i supported in the "needs" thread, but trading up is not something we've traditionally done. as for woods, how's the rest of his game (blocking, locker room, etc)? he's a bit lighter than ideal, but then again you cant teach speed.

it took me a little while to piece it together, but i've come to agree with the early tightend and late fullback. graham is ok, but appears to have the 2nd tightend spot only by default, and could use to be upgraded since we're such a TE heavy team. having another fullback benefits our special teams as well as giving casey more freedom to spread out.

inside linebacker - yall wait until the third round. this is a position that by appearances is traditionally weighted towards late first round or early second. was there not a player here for our first couple of picks? dobbins is surprising a lot of people, but is best as a sub. james, alexander, and the perpetually injured sharpton are very expendable - leaving this one of few real positions of need. we may either need to double up, or look for an earlier pick.

nose tackle, how would yall rate this guy's motor? i'm skeptical of taking a "fat guy" early because of how difficult they are to evaluate, and how little time our current nose is on the field anyways. i would avoid a "project" on the defensive line if at all possible, instead trying to find support behind smith and watt. through 7 games we've yet to allow a rushing touchdown, we're not as bad as some presume up the middle.
First, thanks for reading and taking the time to respond. And I mean that to all of you who have done so thus far. It really is what keeps us motivated.

Now, on to your questions.

Historically, on the group effort mock we dont predict trades. There are simply to many variables to deal with, so we just dont do it. In fact, this was the first year we put in some comp. picks before knowing 100% if/what picks we have. This brings me to the main point- on our mocks, we only take players we think have a good chance of being available. Upon evaluating the potential 2013 draft class, we decided that Woods has a good chance of being available, due to the play of other players. However, even if Woods' stock were to rise, Woods is a player to consider trading up for.

Woods is a very average blocker, as one could assume from his frame. He is no Kevin Walter, but he will stick his nose in there. And to the best of my knowledge, Woods is a quality locker room guy.

I am glad to read that you agree with drafting both a TE and a FB. They will give the offense more potential wrinkles to confuse defenses.

ILB is a huge need, but really the only prospect head and shoulders above Jackson is Te'o, who will be selected well before the Texans pick (he is a potential trade up target). There are other players in the mix, but Jackson will be a starter early on, and will be HUGE in shorring up the run defense. Like we have mentioned, he wont be effective against the pass, but Cushing fills that role well. We only need a 2-down ILB at this point.

If you get a chance, watch the OU/ND game and judge Nix III for yourself. I will say that I have limited concerns about his motor. As with almost any big guy, there is some worry, but to me it is marginalized. He appears to play very motivated this year. And I dont see Nix as a project. Yes, he is young, but he is talented and can play from day 1. Sure his technique and conditioning could use work, but you can say that about most players coming out of college.

Hope this answers some of your questions.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote