View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012   #21
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 3 Amigo Texan "BYE WEEK" Mock 2013 Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Im curious what your other round one options were , both player and position.

Im not sold on a WR in the first .... Just dont see that player making enough of an impact out of the gate to justify a first round pick behind AJ and Walter.
Thats not even taking into account the two they drafted in this last offseason.

I know a lot of people are down on Posey since he hasnt gotten much opportunity .... but the kid has all world "Football" speed as he showed you that in the Jets game chasing down Joe McKnight on the KO return. Also , remember his first catch in the preseason , breaking a tackle and taking it the distance ??
He's going to get more opportunities as he learns the playbook and sharpens his route running.
The Texans offense is just too complex to expect a rookie to jump in with both feet and make an impact.

Then again , maybe you guy's are thinking that this could be the eventual replacement to AJ and are Ok with him having a year or more to learn the offense and hone his skills before being thrust into the lineup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Sorry, missed your post.

Well, we initially discussed it by positions- WR, OT, and NT getting the most conversation, although CB was briefly considered. In the end, it really came down to Woods and Sheldon Richardson (NT, Missouri), and we went with Woods for 2 main reasons- 1) Richardson is climbing, climbing up the boards, and at the moment it is unlikely he will be available when the Texans pick at 32. 2) NT has such a high bust rate. A franchise HAS to hit on it's first rounder. Missing is just so costly. Woods is a safe pick with a high ceiling and a high floor. He is dropping due to the play of others, not because of his own play.

As for the "need" for Woods, we are projecting him to be a potential future number 1. Right now we have Martin, Posey and Jean who are battling it out for the mantle of the future of the Texans' receiving corps. All have warts, and none are likely (in my opinion, at least) to become a true number 1. Martin looks like a dynamite slot receiver, Jean looks to be a number 2 big target, and Posey, while I know you are high on him, has never impressed me. Granted, it is very early in his career, but I just dont think he becomes anything special. That said, I do this as a hobby, not because I think I have any particular talent for player evaluation. We will just have to see what the future holds.

EDIT- just realized I got carried away, and did not really answer the question of other 1st round targets outside of Woods (and Richardson). I am a fan of Matthews from TAMU and Fisher from Central Michigan (both OTs), as well as Short (NT, Purdue) and a couple of sleeper OLBs (though I doubt the need for one this high, but I think they have huge potential) in James Gayle (VT) and Ezekiel Ansah (BYU). I know BB liked the Alabama and North Carolina NTs, as well as Baylor WR Williams.

There may be some other guys in there that I forgot about, but that is a pretty good list.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote