View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012   #12
LondonTex
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3605 LondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Tebow voted Most Overrated Player by peers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Two things:

1. Tebow was traded to the Jets, I don't think he had much say in where he went. The Broncos wanted to get the most out of him and offload his contract to make way for Peyton. They accomplished that.

2. If Tebow did have a say in it, where do you think he has the most to gain, Jax or NYC? NYC builds his brand immensely, and given that his playing career could be over in a couple years, why not make the most of this time and be king of the Big Apple for a few years? I think he made the right choice, he will be an icon for years to come by going to NYC over anywhere else.

He's definitely overrated, but I don't think he cares one bit. He will continue to do his thing as well as he can, but he's making millions more outside of the NFL because he's in NYC.
You could well be right but I believe he passed on Jax which might have been a mistake - not saying it would definetley have worked out but the potential was there for it to have been a good move for both the Jags (who havent exactly had much to be excited about) and Tebow. Being a local boy would have probably meant an increase in fans (imagine he was the major draw for 8 sold out home games)... I would guess he would draw a lot more fans to Everbank than usual. I read somewhere that the extra revenue he would bring in to the Jags in tickets sales and huge amounts of merch sales would put him in a good bargaining position to triple his salary from the $1.9 he gets at the Jets. Also the Jags would more then likley play to his strengths (whatever they are) which would = a happy Tebow.....The Jags fans would more than likley adore him to cult status proportions.

Of course, all this is all 'what if'. I'm still learning about the ins and outs of NFL contracts and the intrcicies of how NFL franchises do business so I could be way off base here.