View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012   #218
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Super Mario not so super so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Mario has always underachieved when he's asked to think too much or when he has a lot of pressure on him. The only time Mario was really successful for us was when he was in a react/instinct role and had already "proven" to be the better draft pick than Reggie Bush.

Mario is a people pleaser whether he admits it or not. He hears the knocks on him and wants to prove people wrong. He's admitted that he's hesitating. He's hesitating because he's pushing so hard for sacks. He's also crappy against the run because he's pushing for sacks. You saw the same thing in Houston. When he was trying to prove himself, he would push for sacks. All anyone had to do was throw a screen at him and he was done.

You hesitate for 1 second in this league and you're done. There is no time for hesitation.
I agree 100% there.

JJ Watt is just playing the game. That's what makes Cushing so good, as well. They are out there just having a good time and reacting to the intricacies of the play, every play is different...each play has multiple reactionary points to it that call for the player to adapt-on-the-fly, no hesitation or you're toast.

Mario is beating himself out of the play all season long, over-thinking. Which, IMO, is what Connor Barwin was doing too...hesitating and over-thinking, and I feel he just got into a funk. Until last Sunday.

Wade might have helped scheme some things to free him up, such as moving Reed more inside (due to necessity). But still, you could genuinely see the light bulb go off in Barwin's head once he got that safety sack. From that point forward, he was batting down passes and wreaking sheer havoc out there. Barwin remembered how to PLAY THE GAME. It was an awesome moment to witness, too. I think many of us saw that this past Sunday. I know my smile was bigger that day, I was really glad that things went his way.

Mario, I don't know if he wants it enough. Maybe the biggest NFL contract in history was too much. The last straw. Whatever it is, he has to find a way to love doing what he does. Or else he'll be a wealthy man with a bit of regret that money can't buy off.