View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012   #216
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30799 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Super Mario not so super so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Eternal optimist.

It's not that he chose to play elsewhere, and you know that. Please admit that he ripped on us in many ways. Hell, even a well-wisher tweeted to him "good luck" and all Mario could do was act like a baby and bash on the Texans...never even THANKING the guy for his good wishes.

Mario telling people to be careful because they might get what they asked for.

Now he says he doesn't care about anybody's expectations.

Go ahead and pull for him, but honestly he's done this to himself. Period.

Personally, I think the game is too big for him. The expectations, as he states, are too big. Being the number 1 pick...too big. Too much pressure for him. By virtue of being thrust into the now legendary MW-VY-RB drama, he had nowhere to go but down, and I think he regrets it all. The Mario I see is one who is tired of expectations. Of being asked to be the star.

He's a relatively quiet guy, a bit of a recluse, never was a guy who really wanted the spotlight. But he cashed those checks all the same as if he WERE. That, IMO, is where he got into trouble. And now the guilt and the self-loathing is creeping to the surface. Hence the whole "I don't care about anybody's expectations." First time he's been honest in a long time about this issue.
Very insightful. And I agree. And, I'd like to expand on that a bit.

I've always had a theory about Mario. I think he was one of those kids who was big, and showed some athletic talent. As a result, everyone told him, "You should play sports! You should play football!" (I've seen that scenario happen before). As a result of that, he just kind of "gave in" and decided to start playing sports, even though he wasn't really passionate about it. I think he kept going, all through college, and would have an occasional good play here and there, and got him attention. Given his sheer physical size, he can't be ignored, so, when he DID have the rare great play, it was over-hyped.

Mario doesn't have the heart for football. He just "fell into it." That's my theory. I have absolutely no proof, of course; that's just my two cent estimation based on his demeanor and his play. The guy is locked into a career that he doesn't like. Granted, he is paid very well, but, still. He's not into football. It shows.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote