View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012   #54
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What happened to the turtle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I'm kind of tired of beating this dead horse, but in one last attempt to clarify ....

When a coach calls a play and it fails, that's on the players. When the coach calls that play in the same situation later on, that's a coach challenging his players. Somewhere between that point and 6.5 years into his head coaching career, he ought to have developed the ability to recognize when he needs to adjust. If you feel like Kubiak is the master of adjusting, playing the chess game against other coaches, and is generally out-coaching the competition, then there's not much I can say about that. I'm not saying that's how you feel; just putting it in stark contrast.

In addition to that, I almost never want to see a play called that has no chance to succeed. That 3rd and long draw play, especially when you habitually put it on film for everyone to anticipate, is exactly that. No one's saying call a Hail Mary on 3rd and long, but mix it up. Call a screen play, call a clear-out underneath crossing pattern, try a bubble screen, try a pitch play ... hell, ANYTHING that isn't excessively risky. He's built a Super Bowl team. If he can't trust them to run a medium-low risk play without turning the ball over, then they either aren't as good as we all think, or he has a control issue.
Dude.... Name me a head coach that isn't a control freak (probably on multiple levels) and I'll show you one that's lost his locker room and will soon be unemployed.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote