View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012   #50
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What happened to the turtle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
Yeah man, but the point is the plays Kubiak has traditionally called are far too predictable. I know you watch the games so ask yourself how many times you have seen this team in the late third/early fourth quarter just run 3 straight downs and punt the ball multiple drives in a row? That's all well and good against the Gabbert's and Sanchez's of the world, but it doesn't work so well against the Rodger's and the Brady's of the world. You have to be willing and ready to step on their throats. Throw the ball a little. Keep the defense honest.

Anyway, I sincerely hope this is a new Kubiak. I need to see it a couple more times to believe it though. I am ecstatic about what I saw. I hope I see it more often. Go Texans!!
Concerns about predictability of play calling when protecting a lead is valid. That thought crossed my mind last night when thinking about this subject, as well.

It's a symbiotic relationship between the coaches and players. The coaches have to call the right plays and the players have to try to make those plays successful. While I agree that the head coach is ultimately responsible at the end of the day, part of his job is to keep the players from mentally taking a break during games when they have a lead, as well.

I'm not against the percentage strategy that Kubiak employs to protect leads. But, like most of y'all, I agree that it needs to be less predictable. If I'm calling the plays before the hike from my couch, I have no doubt that the opposing defensive coordinator knows, as well.

Like I said, it's a fine line to balance, but, always keep in mind that Kubiak is doing what great head coaches before him taught him to do in those situations.