View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012   #84
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2013 Texans Draft Needs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
That is just it, there will be no space next year or years after; point being all the vet contracts being re-done to open up money under the cap. 2012 is first full year under cap after a full off season. As I stated in another thread couple months ago, examples like Mario support my position as teams like Buffalo come into line with the new CBA of spending percentage. IIRC, 2013 all teams must spend 90 % and only a few did not meet the 80% criteria this season. Also, many of the players who renegotiated their deals, like AJ so they could get upfront money and offer space under cap, that "Bonus" or upfront money is prorated and if player gets cut all of the prorated is forced into the cap.

This could be a good thing for us allowing us to keep good players without overpaying or losing to other teams: Barwin, Quin, Caldwell, Forsett, Casey, Cody, McCain, Butler (?), Demps, Dobbins, Gardner, Shane Graham, Harris, James, Donnie Jones, Nading, and Nolan. It is debatable which are "good."
I dunno if my understanding is right the cap has increased under the new CBA, not saying that directly helps the Texans given that they are currently going through a spell of having to decide who their core is going to be the next few years.

The real good, stable long terms teams have been that way for a while because they have learned to manage the cap teams like Pitt, N.E., Balt, Philly, and I think you gotta add the NYG to that list now.

I do think there is going to be some dead money coming off the books next year so that might help.

To me this is why guys like Wade and Gary in terms of being an offensive guru come into play. You need guys who have a system in place where you know what you are looking for and can plug them in and get production. You pay big performers the money and get what you can out of the draft and finding reasonable picks ups in FA.

I think the biggest gripe in the past for fans of the Texans was not being a big player in the FA market when there wasn't the kind of team core you could build around. Right now they've JUST entered that phase were you CAN point to guys and say... this is who we're going to build around. It's not hard to me atm to justify pretty much every extension the team has given out this year. I think for the first time we're seeing that.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote