Thread: Reliant's Turf
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012   #40
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46138 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Reliant's Turf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Open air stadium are constructed to allow full sun to the grass and extensive as-needed watering. Grass on pallets to begin with are more difficult to care for. Not moving the pallets out for periods of time can have a negative effect on the grass. Moving the pallets too often can have a traumatic effect. Watering techniques and needs inside and outside the stadium differ and their effects on the grass can be significant. Once the grass is damaged, return to "health" within a pallet is a much more difficult and lengthy process than if part of the natural ground. All of this, along with not replacing the pallets as needed, has very damaging effects on the root systems, resulting in cleats throwing clumps creating holes and divots throughout the field. I spoke to one of the grounds keepers involved in the care of this system near the beginning of the stadium's existence who mentioned a significant concern of these clumps coming up right at the seams of the pallets creating significant hazard spots where pseudo separations would easily catch a player's cleats.
I don't have any argument with any of this.

At least in theory, the damage to the grass and root system due to lack of water, light or due to trauma can be solved by having enough trays outside, getting back to health. I've mentioned before, that the seams and potential inconsistencies from tray to tray are the two biggest problems with this system, if in fact those are big enough issues. And I'm not sure that there is a solution.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote