View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Issues on Offense???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail.Blazr View Post
Inversely, a good portion of those 173 points come from short field's thanks to defensive turnovers. For the season, Houston has scored at least 41 points off of nine takeaways. If you look at the offense from a yards per game or yards per play, the Texans Offense is ranked somewhere in the middle.

But, more importantly, if you WATCH the games, it's painfully obvious that the offense is struggling more than it's clicking. Fortunately, they are 5-1 and have plenty of upside.

I don't think anyone is accusing them of being terrible. But compared to what we've been used to seeing it's fair to suggest a need for a "boost".

To be fair, you have a good point in that the Defense needs a pick me up too, not to say they are terrible, but given this thread is about offense. I'll jump back on that side of the ball.

If anyone is like me. The first 5 weeks of offensive "meh" I saw, I chalked up to they have a lead, they are playing conservative, not having to tip their hand. Not to say there were signs to suggest concern, but whatever..they are winning. The Jets game started to raise my eyebrows. The Green Bay game changes it for me in the sense that when the offense needed to play with a purpose(again Defense too), and we got "meh" again.
If we agree with Football Outsiders, the Texans are neither here or there.
Not great, but pretty good, at least in the top third of the league.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teameff2012

My concern is the line, especially the guard play.
Wade Smith has been a warrior, playing through injuries and such, but his play has been hurting us some.
So did Caldwell's injury.
Ben Jones is playing like a rookie, but a pretty good one, at least a decent one.
Newton has had his bumps, but it looks to me that he has been progressing up to the curve.
It's good to have Harris on board so the OT position seems not to be a weakness.

We miss Dreesen's blocking ability, it seems; however, I'm not sure he would have been much better than OD in the last game.

Warning, do not read this further if you're an OD fan.
If you still want to read it, brace yousself.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...texans-week-6/

Daniels as a Blocker

I know Owen Daniels (-2.3) is no blocking tight end, and I wouldn’t ever expect him to put in a great day as a run blocker, but his display against Clay Matthews bordered on embarrassing. Daniels actually looked intimidated by the Packers’ dynamo, and seemed reluctant to make contact at the point of attack because he knew it was just speeding up the process of being tossed aside when the ball arrived for Matthews to make the play.

Daniels is built like a receiver, and will never be a great blocker, but his performance was noticeably different when he was tasked with blocking anybody other than Matthews, and not because that player was easier to handle. There’s an old adage that the majority of blocking on the perimeter is ‘want-to’, and against anybody else Daniels had more than enough of that in store, but as soon as he saw the mane of hair coming towards him his reserves just evaporated and he would barely make contact with his arms before resigning himself to being shoved out of the way. There are days where you are going to be second best in any given area, but at least give it everything you have.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote