View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012   #3
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75384 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Defense question....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
I didn't want to start a whole other thread, but it seemed like the majority of the threads were targeting a specific player.

My question is what was the issue with the playcalling on the D? Not so much in regards to the scheme (although that sucked), but mainly with getting it out to the players. There were plenty of times that I saw our DBs looking around, throwing up their hands pre snap, trying to get some sort of clue as to what coverage scheme was called.

Who is responsible for relaying that information?

Why wasn't it getting relayed in enough time?

Was it because of the no huddle that GB was running that didn't allow us to make pre snap adjustments?

I'm at a loss for what I witnessed and I'm trying to make some sense of the brain farts that occurred out there.
You partially hit on it..the no huddle offense was the main culprit...it forces the defense to stay in a base formation & it limits what the defense can do blitz wise and it tires them out. This is why so many teams are using it these days.

& i hate to keep harping on it this morning, but the scouting teams have done us is the reasoning why our db's are throwing their hands up pre-snap and all that jazz...Guys don't know who they're covering based on the specialized formations and personnel offenses put out their. it's likely due to something that they didn't prepare for whatever reason...could just be something that GB didn't show too much of if at all during the season. Bunch Formations in particular always cause comunication issues b/c they often involve some sort of route combo that just barely isn't illegal.

This is one of the reasons i dislike the way the NFL is going (all offense). Sure the defense is allowed time to substitute in depending on the offense's personnel, but it is entirely reactive & the offense controls everything. by the time the defensive personnel is substituted in, the offensive personnel is already lined up & are only waiting for the refs to blow the whistle!

You combine this advantage with how sensitive the refs are calling pass interference & hits on the qb & defenseless players, the defense is at a complete disadvantage.

At the very least, they should limit times when teams can run the no-huddle like they do in the NBA with that "hack-a-shaq" rule. Either that or allow more time for the defensive personnel to get settled in or go back to the old days where defensive players could maul WR's coming across the middle & call less PI's.

sorry...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote