Thread: Andre Johnson
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012   #42
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Andre Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Alright Doc, I'm sure there is credence to your diagnosis but I don't think that's why they aren't throwing to Andre as in years past. I think it's as simple as this:

The "engine" that powers the 2012 edition of the Texans' offense is the running game, not the passing game as in years past. Back in 2009 & 2010 when Schaub kinda HAD to pass he averaged 298 & 273 yds/game, respectively. This year he's averaging 231 yds/game. And Schaub's QB rating is still up around 99-100 so it's not like he sucks.

Given that Foster, so far, is averaging over 100 yds/game plus whatever Tate gets to chip in (25-25 yds maybe) why pass?

I just think Kubiak has taken a lesson from Parcells: build a formidable running game and a strong defense. Let that running game grind down the opposing defense and pass just often enough to keep them from piling 8-9 guys in the box. Depend on your strong D to give you the ball back with 3-&-outs or turnovers and get back to work grinding the down with your running game.

I don't think there's much wrong with A.J. I think his numbers are down due to the success of Foster, Tate, and the O-line.

Thoughts?
I won't even try to argue that factors like our success with the running game and having other receiving options haven't potentially lent itself to Andre being left with less targets. However, the observation, at least to date, of his routes not being explosive and apparently significantly devoid of his signature sharp-cutting ins and outs, hitches and hooks, is none-the-less valid. These characteristic patterns in the past, allowed Andre to be "money," especially on 3rd and necessary yardage. There were times this season that the Texans needed those same important 3rd downs converted with minimal risk of turnover and seemed to shy away from what was once believed to be almost a "sure thing." The season is still young, and I have no problem if you wish to consider my observational comments "young" as well.

CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote