Thread: Andre Johnson
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Andre Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Doc called this one as soon as he found out the procedure that Andre was having done. He said that there was a good chance he would never get his explosion back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i seem to remember that as well. andre opted for the short term fix with a reduced effectiveness long term. he certainly has looked a lot slower and shows zero explosion. what i'm having more trouble with is he doesnt seem like himself in less physical ways, almost looking dejected out there. he even said as much week 1 if i remember correctly.

As I've posted before, the semitendinosus muscle which was released, may be small but it has been shown to contribute to explosiveness and stability of the knee.

Here are comments I posted in the past week.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Besides significantly limiting the plays that they target him, if you notice his routes are essentially avoiding acute cuts/curls/change of direction. They are straight-line or gentle angles. In their game play plans they are definitely showing sensitivity to avoiding moves that will encourage recurrence of hamstring, knee and ankle problems, while trying to further protect him from further aggravating his ongoing groin problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
If you've watched AJ carefully this year, he has basically run straight line routes or routes with gently angles. You haven't seen his signature sharp curl back or acute cut angle routes. In this last game, he was ahead of his defender going down the sideline and Schaub threw short. AJ was looking back (as was the defender) and was fully aware that it was falling short right into the hands of the defender. Yet he made no attempt to stop acutely to go back for the ball to break up a potential interception.........an over the back move that he has always been known for in the past. And this is only one of many examples. All of these observations go to the question of knee stability, something that I voiced concern over following his injuries last year, specifically with the decision made to surgically clip the partially torn semitendinosus hamstring muscle (a small muscle shown to contribute to knee stability and explosiveness), in order to be able to get him back on the field for the playoffs. He appears to be avoiding maneuvers that require heavy side-to-side stresses on his knees. It seems like game planning for AJ is being designed to exactly use only certain types of routes.......again to avoid exposing his knee instability problem and its limitations, at the same time trying to protect him from major re-injury.

After 5 weeks, FootballOutsiders has him at only 28th in WR ranking, with Walter right there with him at 29th. (No other Texans receivers are ranked in the top 93) http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

I am certainly in no way advocating that we cast AJ aside. I am only saying that in order to be valuable, he may need to play within certain parameters due to presence of some physical limitations and for purposes of minimizing risk of re-injury. To date, his play and the play-calling seems to be consistent with the observations.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote