View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012   #65
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I Still Dont Trust the KUBIAK & SCHAUB Regime

If you are looking for anti-Kubiak peeps, this is the place to find them. You'll still find some pics with Cowher Texans 2011 & Kubiak Broncos 2011 on some peoples sigs. It got really nasty after the 2010 season was over.

Kubiak made some mistakes in the first few years. Much like Kareem Jackson, many people couldn't let go of them and see the improvement he'd made. Clock management, bad challenges, odd play calls (half-back pass), loyalty-to-a-fault and losing were on his permanent record. Now add conservative and lacks killer instinct among others.

My opinion is a minority. Kubiak really only made 3 big mistakes. 3 mistakes that cost the team many wins, kept them from the playoffs and set the team back a few years.

1) Signing off on Carr. I'm sure he watched tape and felt he could fix him. Sadly, he didn't know about Carr's terrible work ethics.
2) Hiring a rookie DC - Richard Smith. IMO - A rookie offensive head coach needs a vet DC that knows what he can do, how to do it and what players are needed to do it. I felt it back then and it proved true.
3) Hiring another rookie DC - Frank Bush. See above. The D actually was better under Bush in 2009. The 2010 collapse proved that 2009 was a fluke and the rookie DC proved a failure again.

Other than those 3 things, Kubiak hasn't made any glaring mistakes that any other head coach wouldn't make. Is Kubiak one of the greatest HCs? No. At least not yet. Is he a good head coach? Ummm...look at 2011 and tell me how many other HCs could have done what he did with a 3rd string QB.

As for Schaub - QBs are unfairly tied to stats. In particular wins, yards, TDs & INTs. All of those can be affected by many factors out of their control. A weak defense can lead to less wins, more yards, more TDs and possibly more INTs. A great defense does the opposite - more wins, less yards, less TDs and possibly less INTs. Schaub led quite a few 4th qtr comebacks only to see the defense blow the lead. Did Schaub make some bad decisions at times, yes. Name a QB that hasn't though. If we don't have any more major injuries, this year will be the first year to be able to see what Schaub can do.

TLDR: Kubiak & Schaub aren't Belicheck & Brady or Payton & Brees but they are easily good enough to win a Superbowl.
Exascor is offline   Reply With Quote