View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Our new look ILB position moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Nice work, but a couple of your base 3-4 lineups would have 12 men on the field. I assume McCain would be the odd-man-out. Also, this thing about Reed possibly being moved to ILB, is this a rumor started by fans or is there some evidence the Texans are looking at this? If so, could you or, anyone else, provide a link? I haven't heard of this being mentioned from the Texans at all and I just wonder if Reed has the skill set to do this. I know it looks good on paper, moving him to ILB and having Mercilus as OLB, but has Reed ever played ILB? It's a lot tougher position mentally than OLB. Not saying he couldn't handle it, but if he's never played the position, that's a tough move to make this quickly.
The Reed thing is totally fan based. As far as skills go, he looks like an ILB to me, every bit as much as Cushing did. In a base 4-3, your OLB is usually playing what is termed the Mo in a 3-4, at one time or another, regardless if he's the SAM or the WILL. Usually your SAM will play over the TE, but when he is motioned to the other side, your SAM backs up & lines up over the now weakside guard (MO), the Mike will shift over towards the strongside & the WILL will drop to the line over the TE.

As our SAM, in our 3-4, Reed has been dropping into zones & playing man coverage, there will still be some learning curve, but it's time for someone to step up.

IMO, the idea of moving Reed inside, is to get another dynamic player on the field to replace the dynamic player we are loosing. That's Merci who is not suited to play inside. Barwin is playing Merci's "natural" position, but I don't think he fits well inside, not as quick twitch as Reed, or able to change direction as well (all my opinion of course).

Dobbins is depth, Rudd (Ruud) is depth. Replace Cushing for a few plays... sure. A game..... maybe. But for 11 games, not my first choice.