View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012   #26
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2013 Texans Draft Needs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
My list of 2013 draft needs was made up almost 5 months ago. Most of those listed needs are still the same but a few have changed. Here's how I see it now:

DT/NT, Cody will be gone next season and Mitchell is nothing special. First round need.
OT/OG, BB has faith in Newton and Kubiak and has been trying to convince me as well. Sorry BB I still don't see it. This is a 2nd round need. Even if Newton does work out we'd still get a guy that would add starter quality depth to the O-line or may take W. Smith's spot in 2013 or 2014.
CB, I think McCain will be gone after this season due to FA and we sure could use some high quality upgrades/depth in the secondary.
WR, I like Martin but Jean has shown nothing special and Posey was just a mistake. Walter might be a salary cut and we need someone to be an explosive #2 with #1 potential. This is an opportunity pick based on BPA.
ILB, Cushing will be back next season but the other ILB spot is a 2 down rotational one. James ain't getting it done but I like Dobbins. We still could use some better quality and younger depth here. Mid round 4-5 need, a better DT/NT lessens the need at ILB.
Safety, is a depth only need but Keo should be gone. We could get better in nickle and dime packages and special teams.
P, Donnie Jones is on the wrong side of 30 and could be upgraded. A good young P to hold the position for the next 10-12 yrs. and cheaper as well.
RB, if Rick Smith is smart he trades Tate in the offseason so we may look at RB as an opportunity pick as well, after the 3rd round.

SBT, I like Patterson as well but I have my doubts that he'll go pro in 2013. I think he stays at Tennessee and is a high 1st rounder in 2014. Good beginnings of a mock though.
To clarify our PMs, Newton is a 6th so not sure Gary goes high with OT +reputation of our Oline coach turning average guys into quality starters. I posted somewhere in last few days that right side is doing very well in blocking for run & entire line is very good at protecting Schaub. If Newton simply holds his own and Harris continues to improve, we are set. OG is much more of a concern for me but Jone has been ok and we'll see Caldwell back against GB.

I like Patterson but think he might remain in school.
I agree on McCain and discovered yesterday that a neighbor of mine graduated high school with him. Martin just got a big break with TH being cut. Posey still has no clue what he is doing but I think Kubes gives him another season. I still have WR but later round.

I awakened during the night thinking Quin will re-sign so I'll probably take Micah Hyde off my current mock. I am hoping Tate for a late first/early second to be used for LSU's Minter ILB. I may go with two ILBs on next mock as we have basically nothing after Dobbins and he needs to be what some of you guys say he is. I can see James & Alexander gone.

I see no reason to replace Jones, Donnie. Punters can be good well into 30s & a vet that does not rattle is worth the extra cost.

Keo is already gone as the Eagles sang.