View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012   #338
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brian Cushing torn ACL .. out for season

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
How was that possibly illegal? He tripped him by grabbing his foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
At the time of that play, I figured Watt would get flagged for hitting the QB below the knees.

The refs must have thought that a hand swiping the foot is not the same as it would be if that same defender is tackling his full body weight INTO the QB's legs.

Still, I really REALLY thought he would get a flag there on that play. Maybe it was a make-up call or something? I dunno.
I think Fidd read the rule incorrectly.

It wasn't a "malicious" hit below the knee.

The defender is allowed to swipe at the quarterback's feet.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content...er_Conduct.pdf

HITTING PASSERíS KNEE
(5) A rushing defender is prohibited from forcibly hitting in the knee area or below a passer who has one
or both feet on the ground, even if the initial contact is above the knee. It is not a foul if the defender is
blocked (or fouled) into the passer and has no opportunity to avoid him;
Note 1: A defender cannot initiate a roll or lunge and forcibly hit the passer in the knee area or below, even if he
is being contacted by another player.
Note 2: It is not a foul if the defender swipes, wraps, or grabs a passer in the knee area or below in an attempt to tackle him.
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote