View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012   #79
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Our new look ILB position moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Sit around and watch. You will be re-visiting this topic in the next few weeks.

I have watched these LBs a lot over the past couple of years, especially since Brian Braman is a fellow WTAMU alumni (as am I). So I have begun to really watch the LB crew out there just because I always wonder when Braman might be able to get more snaps out there...which has led me to watch the ILBs more as a result of that interest in Braman.

We've got two types of LBs: The outside guys who are bigger, Reed and Barwin and Braman etc., and then the inside guys who are smaller and quicker and play differently...little heat-seeking missiles out there.

Dobbins is no joke. I've paid a lot of attention to him in preseason and in regular season games. I didn't say he is equal, remember, I'm just saying that it won't be as huge of a drop off as some think.

The big chink in the armor of this defense is, and will be, Bradie James. Cushing's talent masked James' lack thereof, but I don't know if Dobbins will be able to mask James' inferior play as much as Cushing did.

Still, Dobbins is a beast against the run...that pesky thing all you guys are pissing and moaning about every week. Pass rush will be handled by the OLBs anyways. And JJ Watt, obviously. The ILBs need to shoot gaps on run plays. Dobbins and James can do that well enough.

Manning should have a larger role, hopefully, as well. He's a heavy hitter and should be used more in that role now.
You said pretty close to the same guy as Cushing. I'm telling you he's not even close. Dobbins is a thumper that can make plays in a phone booth and take on guards. He is not a playmaker and lacks speed and quickness. Right now he's good at one thing and thats attacking the running game downhill.
wolf123 is online now   Reply With Quote