View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012   #30
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans' Wade Phillips would like a head-coaching gig

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
For one thing, this team--The Texans--they gave Wade a chance after he fell on his face trying to be a head coach (again).

Now here we are, supposedly on a track for the Super Bowl, like we were last year, and yet AGAIN we have Wade making comments about being a head coach...after having been made a very rich man by Bob McNair to be our d-coord.

So yeah, I make a big deal of it. I like the Texans. I don't particularly like stepping-stoners like Wade pulling this same old trick on an annual basis. One foot in, one foot out, looking for ways to attain a position he has no business trying to attain if we want all be perfectly honest about it.

I guess I also sort of begin to get curious about his intellect. Does he not know or appreciate the idea of being "THE BEST" at something, no matter what that is? You can make a lot of money, be very happy, AND attain accolades by being the best at something. Being head coach is not Wade's talent. He won't be the best at it, hell he won't even be MEDIOCRE at it. Yet he had to be one?

LOL. Some people struggle with crack cocaine. Some people have a gambling problem. I guess Wade's kryptonite is NFL head coach.

I shake my head at it. I really do. And the residue off it is that WE and our players have to deal with it. What players on our team talk the way this man talks? When was the last time Brian Cushing or any other player said "Yeah, I like it here...but I still dream of being with a SB team like the Giants or Patriots too."??????? They don't. No other Texans coach does this stuff, either, by the way.

Just when I get to the point of forgiving Wade for last year's transgression...he goes and pulls me back in with a new one. And it's identical to the last one. So I wonder about him. Great defensive mind, no doubt. Other areas? I dunno.
I don't really understand the bashing of Wade as HC either. I thought he did pretty well in Dallas. He was there for like only 4 years or 3.5 until he was fired for the guy they always wanted any way who is also failing pretty hard.

Wade came into Dallas and immediately had the best record in the NFC that season where they barely lost in the 2nd round of the playoffs to the SB winning Giants on the last play of the game by a typical Romo INT that lost the game. That was a great season for Wade and the Cowboys though. The very next season they failed pretty hard by losing the last game of the season and missing the playoffs after all of the distractions from HARD KNOCKS and TO tearing the team apart. Wade did not bring in TO though. He had to deal with the same problem that several teams did with TO and guys like Pac Man Jones and all these other misfits that Jerry Jones wanted on that team. That team had a ton of felons and problem players. The year after that Wade got them back into the playoffs where they won a game and went 11-5. The year after Wade got fired mid way into the season. Wade had two very good seasons and two average seasons where he was fired in the 2nd one.

Over all I'd say he did just fine, but had to work for a mad man in Jerry Jones who wanted to run things any way. Right now Jason Garrett is looking like the same OC that he should have always been instead of a HC and is doing much worse than Wade in my eyes.

I'll agree that Wade more suited to be a DC though. I think he is a better fit for that, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Wade being able to have success again as a HC. He did have some success and wasn't the perpetual fail that you described.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote