View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012   #2
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans' Wade Phillips would like a head-coaching gig

I am surprised he didn't go after the Tampa Bay job last year.

Wade Phillps was hired as the Dallas coach when he was 60. Marv Levy was hired when he was 61. Dick Vermeil was hired when he was 65. These are the oldest NFL head coach hires I can recall. Vermeil of course, had a superbowl victory and superbowl appearance though. We have seen the trend go back towards younger, coordinatos and younger re-treads. Guys in their 40s and 50s are getting the jobs.

Wade is correct that as he gets older it will get tougher and tougher to get a Head coaching gig. He is already 65 years old. Next year, he would be 66 before the first game is played. I think this is the make it or break it offseason for him. If he is not offered and odes not take a head coaching job this upcoming offseason, he will be 67 years old. It will be tough for a GM to hire a 67 year old head coach in the NFL.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote